Thursday, February 09, 2006

Internet Oddity

So, a few nights ago, I posted a blog about my car turning 100,000 miles. To my loyal readers, remember it? Anyway, I don't know where it went! I posted it. I posted a new post after that. And somewhere in all that, that post got blown out! Why? Who knows..but I blame Mozilla.

I just didn't want anyone to think I took it down for a reason. Now you know.

Now, a little bit about a funny phone call I got yesterday. A few weeks ago, Nick and I decided not to do Valentine's presents, in leiu of some fun date night. We do this all the time...San Diego, Vegas Christmas, Valentine's in NH last year... So, I finagled my schedule at work and we bought tickets to see the Portland Trail Blazers for tomorrow night!

While sitting at my desk at work yesterday, my cell rings. I get tons of weird calls because of tutoring, so I picked it up. The Celtics calling. They hope I'm happy with my purchase and wanted to know if I was a big Celtics fan. Without hesitation: "I'm a Blazer fan."

Sure, this group of thugs isn't the team I fell in love with 15 years ago. But the Blazers taught me everything it means to be a fan:

* Things like raspberry and blackberry candy, pizza night, the right t-shirt, and who wins the tip have everything to do with the outcome of the game. So can memorizing box scores, decorating your life in red and black and remembering everything from birthdays to shoe sizes of your favorite guys.

* Good doesn't always win. And loving and believing with all your heart can't bring up the score.

* If you make fun of fair-weather fans, you better be ready to stand by you team through thick and thin. Through trades and three arrests in one week. (Seriously Damon, speeding down I-5 stoned out of your brains? You grew up here! Don't you know the speed traps?!)

* The East Coast bias: It's true for the Blazers, and it's true for every other west coast sports team (minus those insanely good teams in the LA area). We will never get the respect we deserve. Get used to being shunned in the national spotlight, and learn that it's probably ok. That keeps these teams our little secret.

* Players, coaches and venues come and go. Rip City is forever and Bill Schonely will always be the 13th man.

* Being a Blazer fan is something special. I may have missed 1977, but I saw what happened to a city in the early 1990's. Oregonians became BlazerManiacs. Street corners turned into places to buy your favorite shirts and talk hoops with strangers. City streets went silent when a game was on TV. We all became believers. And believers know it can happen again.

And because of that, no matter what, I will always be a Blazer fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home