Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Investment Pieces

Yesterday I did something I hadn't done in a very long time. I went shopping.

I set out only to got and get the errands done..but when faced with an entire two days with no work obligations, I had to treat myself. Off to the mall!

Stop #1: Anthropologie. Could this store be any more Al? It's as if someone said, "What are Allison's favorite things? Let's put them in a shop. And give that shop a clever name...weird spelling and all!"
In Anthropologie, I fell in love with a sweater. And without hesitation, and with barely a glance at the price tag, I bought it. It's a diversion from the Allison I've been for a long time, but it's part of the new Allison I want to become.

I'm tired of filling my life with things because they're what I should have. I want to fill my life with the things I want to have.

No longer will I buy something because it's a good deal. If I don't love it, it doesn't come home. And if my heart beats faster at the sight of it, I will spend the money for that joy.

I will no longer waste time on something because it passes time. If I don't love it, I will skip it. I want passion over placid.

I want to fill my life with people and ideas that thrill me. Challenge me. Make me think differently.

I want everything, every moment, everyone to become my investment pieces. I want to create a me filled with little bits of everything I think is worth keeping hold of...and none of the stuff you just throw away (or recycle. It's still Al, here!).

Instead of a dozen discount sweaters, I'll take the one that makes me feel pretty. Instead of time lost in TV, I want a book that inspires. Instead of being alone, I want my friends who make me feel and think and dream.

It's what I think I need now for me...for what it's worth.

1 Comments:

At 08 February, 2006 15:24, Blogger Tamara said...

Passion over placid.

I think that should be my new theme for life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home