Friday, February 17, 2006

Why I Love Math

It all started with a candle..

See, a couple weeks ago I got a gift in the mail from home. A spoonrest, a hat to use as inspiration for an upcoming knitting project and catnip. Cosmic Catnip. With two crazy cats, you can imagine the results..they went insane! Spazzing all over the house, looking for their next fix.

I left for work, thinking everything was locked away safely behind the bathroom door. I was wrong. And Nick came home to the shattered remains of my Illuminations candle.

So, sweetly, to make up for it, I got a new candle this week from Oregon. Hurray! (and thank you, David!) It's lovely and smells yummy, but I noticed it's a different shape from my old candle. The bottom of the candle says 11 ounces. My old candles from the same place (and the same price - you left on the price tag, silly!) are 14 ounces. So, that means the candle people are using 3 fewer ounces per candle, without sacrificing burning time.

I imagine the folks at Illuminations worked long and hard to find a way to make their candles equally productive while minimizing the materials. And that's some practical math in action!

Math geeks rejoice! Your skills do help the world! Or at least Illuminations bottom line..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home