Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Confessions of a Packrat

I have many guilty pleasures. I love reality TV. I can't get enough of Taco Bell. But my ultimate indulgence? Things to hold things.

What is it about containers? I get excited about the idea of new boxes, jars and bags to keep my treasures safe. Any container that comes into my home must be ripped from my hands before it can be sent off to recycling. Look under my sink and you'll find old plastic bags, glass jars, and tin cans all waiting for...I don't know.

Even last weekend's trip to NYC had me shopping for containers. And I got a great one! A cute little canvas bag stamped with my favorite New York bookstore's logo. (a far cry from beloved Powell's, but it will have to do for now.) Right now, it holds my book and knitting. But, oh! The possibilities!

My containers hold my treasures, my trash and bits of me. Each new container I bring into the house has potential. "What will go inside this?" Maybe the bits and pieces that make up my next inspiration? Maybe old receipts? Maybe love letters and cute little cards? Who knows! But whatever comes next will have a nice place to live, safe and sound, in a well-organized and thoughtfully-selected container.

Or it can spend some time in a cleaned out spaghetti sauce jar until I find the perfect place to hold it.

2 Comments:

At 02 March, 2006 20:21, Blogger Tamara said...

I feel the same way about my brain.

Hey, I just applied for a job out here. Keep your fingers crossed. Or don't.

 
At 10 March, 2006 07:11, Blogger Megan K said...

Holy Cow!
I linked here from Danny's Blog (www.coldfrontza.blogspot.com), I'm his wife, by the way, and I have to say I completely share your desire for containers. I can't even tell you how many bags of bags I have! It drives Danny absolutely insane! He will never understand my desire for accessories of the zippered kind...
Megan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home