Sunday, March 12, 2006

For The Love Of Books

When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis died in her New York apartment, her son was the one who broke the news to the world, saying simply: "She was surrounded by her friends and her family and her books and the people and things she loved."

Nearly 12 years later, there's a part of that announcement that still gives me chills. JFK, Jr. mentioned only three things specifically. Friends, family and books. Books! Amazing, inspiring books!

I will never be a person who finds inspiration at church or in a god, but I can only imagine those who do feel something similar to the way I do when I step inside a bookstore or library. No other place on Earth can you find such a range of thoughts, ideas and human emotions as you can within the walls of a place that holds books.

Books hold secrets. Books explain. Books give insight. Books hold the answers to questions and help us find our way in the world. I have a hard time expressing the sheer joy I feel when I am around books.

I spent some time this morning in my library...moving my stacks and flipping through the pages. Spending time with my books is the closest thing to peace I'll probably ever feel. Surrounded by my books is what makes me feel at home. My books inspire me...make me think, make me feel. It's for the love of the written word that I do everything that I do. It's everything that is human, and how we express that experience. It's how we related to others, and how we try to make sense of what exactly we're doing here.

How happy and at peace a girl can feel when surrounded by her books....

1 Comments:

At 13 March, 2006 18:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David thinks you didn't lick it off the walls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home